Heanor is a town in the Amber Valley district of Derbyshire in theEast Midlands of England. It is 8 miles (13 km) northeast of Derbyand forms part of the Nottingham Urban Area. According to the census of 2001 the town's population was 22,620
Heanor was mentioned in the Domesday Book with the following entry:
6M In CODNOR and Heanor and Langley [in Heanor] and 'Smithycote' [in Codnor Park] 8 thegns had 7 carucates of land to the geld. [There is] land for as many ploughs. There are now 3 ploughs in demesne; and 11 villans and 2 bordars and 3 sokemen having 5 ½ ploughs. There is a church, and 1 mill [rendering]12d , and 35 acres (140,000 m2) of meadow, [and] woodland pasture 2 leagues long and 3 furlongs broad. TRE worth 4l ; now 41s 4d . Warner holds it.
The parish of Heanor formed a local board in about 1850 to govern the town. In 1895, under the Local Government Act 1894 the board's area became an urban district. In 1899 Heanor Urban District was enlarged with the addition of the neighbouring parish of Codnor and Loscoe. The urban district continued in existence until 1974, when it was merged into the new non-metropolitan district of Amber Valley under the Local Government Act 1972.
The area of the former urban district initially formed an unparished area. In 1984 it was divided between three new civil parishes:
Amber Valley Borough Council, based in Ripley, consists of 45 councillors. The borough is divided into 23 wards, each returning from one to three councillors. The town of Heanor is divided between three wards, electing six councillors. As of 2011 the political representation is as follows:
Although the next round of elections will take place in may 2012
Derbyshire County Council consists of 64 county councillors each elected for a single-member electoral district. Heanor falls into two electoral districts, Greater Heanor and Heanor Central. Following the elections of 2009, the two districts are represented by members of the Conservative and Labour parties respectively.
The Matthew Walker factory, famous for the production of Christmas puddings and situated on Heanor Gate Industrial Park, was sold in 1992 to become part of the Northern Foods Group. Other companies on the park include Advanced Composites Group, Cullum Detuners Ltd and Isolated Systems Ltd.
in 2011 the 2 Sisters Food Group purchased Northern Foods. The Matthew Walker factory is now a part of the 2 Sisters Chilled Devision.
Heanor Grammar School, which was just to the east of the market place, is now part of the South East Derbyshire College. A book on the history of the school was published in 2008. The largest school presently in the area is theHeanor Gate Science College, in the neighbouring parish of Smalley, opened in 1964.
Shipley Country Park borders the south and west of the town. This valuable green space consists of most of the former estate of the Miller-Mundy family who lived at Shipley Hall (demolished in the 1940s) until the 1920s. It was sold for coal mining purposes and was intensively opencast and deep seam mined by what became the National Coal Board before being restored and handed over to the county council in the 1970s.
Heanor Clarion Cycling Club was founded in 1934. The local football team is known as 'The Lions' - Heanor Town Football Club. Established in 1883, the club is a member of the East Midlands Counties Football League. It also has a youth team called Heanor Juniors. Famous ex-players include Nigel Clough, who went on to play for Nottingham Forest},Liverpool and Manchester City. He is now the manager of Derby County. Nigel Pearson, who after leaving Heanor captained Sheffield Wednesday to a League Cup win over Manchester United at Wembley, is now the manager at Hull City.The Lions share their playing area with Heanor Town Cricket Club.
Heanor has a few bus routes mostly operated by trentbarton which can be viewed on the List of bus routes in Heanor page. The nearest station is at Langley Mill two miles away, which has services to Nottingham, Sheffield and beyond. Formerly the Midland Railway had a line between Shipley Gate and Butterley that passed through Heanor (closed to passengers in 1926), and the Great Northern Railway had a branch line which terminated in a goods yard and small station in Heanor (closed in 1928, though temporarily revived in 1939).
The local newspaper which serves, amongst others, the communities of Ripley, Heanor, Marlpool, Loscoe, Waingroves, Aldercar, Crosshill and Codnor is the 'Ripley and Heanor News'. However, its circulation area is not limited to these towns and villages and could be considered to extend from Whatstandwell in the west, to Brinsley in the east; fromSouth Normanton in the north, to Coxbench in the south. It is published each Thursday.
Shipley separates the Ilkeston and Heanor urban areas, which are linked by the main A6007 road. It also incorporates most of theShipley Country Park and the hamlet known as 'The Field' which is usually seen as the centre of the civil parish, with the Anglican Parish Church being at Cotmanhay, to the north of Ilkeston.
The Shipley Estate is an ancient manor which was referenced in the Domesday Book. From the 14th century the land was extensive forest used for hunting, with a hunting lodge on Shipley Hill. From the 16th century, coal mining began to provide income for the owners.
Shipley Hall was built in 1700 and by 1722 coal mining was an important activity on the Shipley estate. The Hall became the property of the Miller Mundy family who in around 1765 started running the mines themselves. The Nutbrook Canal opened in 1796 to serve the Shipley Colliery, and the income led to extensive development of the estate. The Hall was rebuilt in 1799 to the design of William Linley of Doncaster, and the grounds were landscaped by William Emes, a follower of Capability Brown.
In the late 19th century, under Alfred Edward Miller Mundy, the colliery was becoming increasingly prosperous, especially with the opening of theMidland Railway. Mundy was regarded as an excellent employer by the standards of the time, with a hands-on approach. Further developments were the building of a model dairy and farm, and the water tower to feed it, designed by W. E. Nesfield, a doubling of the size of the hall and the creation of a cricket ground. The Lodges and gates were designed by Sir Walter Tapper.
In 1887 there was a scandal at the Hall when Ellen Miller-Mundy, née Palmer-Morewood, who was married to Captain Mundy ran off withCharles Chetwynd-Talbot, the young Earl of Shrewsbury and then left the country with her three brothers who had skipped bail as they were wanted by the Police. Her brothers were accused of drawing lots to decide who would kill the eldest brother and heir of Alfreton Hall if he did not sign over outstanding inheritances.
After Captain Miller Mundy died, the Hall was sold to the Shipley Colliery Company, which his family had founded, who took over complete control of the mines and the family moved out mainly because life at the Hall was seriously affected by the noise and pollution of the colliery.
After the collieries were nationalised in 1948, the National Coal Boarddecided that the Hall was too damaged by subsidence to be worth keeping, and demolished it. The Woodside and Coppice pits were closed in the 1960s because they were regarded as uneconomical, ending over 250 years of deep mining at Shipley. There was a residual legacy of spoil heaps, derelict buildings, polluted lakes and thirty abandoned mine shafts. In the late 1960s Derbyshire County Council decided to create a Country Park as a memorial to mining in the area.
The National Coal Board reclaimed land near the closed collieries by opencast methods between 1970 and 1974. Two years were spent contouring the site, planting trees, seeding fields and meadows, and building facilities for the public and Shipley Country Park opened to the public on 26 May 1976.
In the 1980s the County Council controversially agreed the use of part of the park and a lake to form a theme park